Sunday, March 2, 2008

Welcome March

March, it is. (I say that as if you all need to be told, eh?) It's been a good March so far, I guess. I'm in Normal this weekend working hard on diss items and proofing. Yesterday, I spent about 4 hours reviewing dissertation data from student writing in order to get more themes that I could then generate into a lovely table to make the Director happy. That was for chapter 4; today, I need to go into chapter 5 and see what he wants me to do. I am supposed to have a meeting with him Monday to discuss chapters 1 and 6 (intro and conclusion). I am hoping so much that he'll find them in relatively decent shape so that I can make minimal changes before passing the whole thing off to the committee before Spring Break. Please keep your fingers crossed to. I guess I should first say that I hope he reads them before our meeting.

I'm also working on a new proofreading project for Bold Strokes Books, the publisher of Rachel's first and soon-to-be second book. So far, so good, I think. It was a project that needed a fast turnaround (4 days), so that's been a bit of a concern for me. I want to do a good job, and I worry about doing that in such a short time. But, I guess I'm doing the best that I can and will hope the publisher likes it and will continue to ask me to do more for them. After saying good-by to the Iranian Studies job, I've been looking forward to new projects such as this.

I met D for dinner and a movie last night, which was a lot of fun. We can commisserate about dissertations together and then go off and forget about them with a movie. We saw Definitely, Maybe which I was a little worried would be too much of a sappy chick-flick. While I didn't care for the child acress (annoying), I found it easy to stay with the story and liked how it kept the viewer guessing. It won't win any awards, for sure, but it was good for a night out and away from work.

It'll be a busy week, I think, getting the diss ready to give to others and getting ready to head to Iowa for Spring Break. I'm sure exactly what I'm going to do over spring break, especially if I'm able to get the diss out to others, but I'm sure something interesting will come up.

No comments: