Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Good Day

I had a good day at work today...sometimes one of those just comes along now and then. Today was nice just because I felt good about the work I did with my students. In my 9:00 a.m. Writing II class, I had planned on a peer review and workshop for them to finish up their third paper assignment. However, when we all got settled, students shared their confusion with a source citation assignment -- we are just beginning to work on citing sources using MLA. (This is always a challenging time for students as the whole idea of citing information using a set of rules gets very overwhelming for some dev ed students.) Instead of going with the day's plan, I scrapped it. I gave an extension on the paper assignment and we spent the day working through citation problems together. What I really liked about the class though was the discussion. This is a class that doesn't just sit by and expect to be told things -- they jumped in and were helping each other, asking me questions, and providing answers as we worked. At the end of class, students thanked me for changing the course plan so they could get more experience working on citations.

It was a good feeling overall. As a teacher, some days aren't great. They aren't terrible, but they aren't necessarily great. Today was a pretty good day.  I left that class feeling good. Thankfully, the remaining two classes went well too to wrap up a good day.

No comments: