Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First Day of Summer Class 2011

Twelve students are registered for my summer Writing 1 class. Today was the first day of class, and 7 showed up. Sigh. At least I can say that those 7 were awesome and we had one of the best discussions I've ever had in a writing 1 class (especially considering it was the very first day)! I'm hopeful that this group of students becomes a solid core group and we don't lose anyone. So far, so good!

After a quick trip to Lowes for some paint samples (I need to paint the upstairs hall closet before rehanging shelves from the "great clothing fall" last week) and a few more plants, I made it to my appointment with my financial advisor so as to get all set up for my Roth 403 b account. I know it's all good to set money aside for retirement, but ouch! My paycheck is going to start looking pretty weak pretty fast.

I came home to find the concrete guys working on the front steps. Big Yay!! (finally!). Still not done, but the whole area is starting to look better. The guys got the steps framed but not the concrete poured. One additional hiccup in the process (what is that now? 3?): we had to tear up the walkway leading up to the steps. The reason for this is that there are 2 small steps leading to two short landings on the way to the steps. Apparently, when the builders constructed these in 1940, there was no code for step height, but now there is. Our steps there were significantly shorter, one only measuring only 3 inches! So, after considering the risks of what would happen if someone fell and sued us, etc. etc., we decided to go ahead and replace those too. The cost of replacing them will be significantly less than any other cost possibly incurred. While our old steps would be technically "grandfathered" into meeting code, the fact that we replaced part of the walkway and the steps would make one question why we didn't just correct the other hazards at that time. Now we will only have 1 step up to a landing before the main steps to the door. And so, more breaking up of concrete, more dirt everywhere, more time, and of course, more money.

No comments: