Thursday, May 26, 2011

Weeds, weeds, and more weeds.

Concrete dude came back today which made me really happy! There was no rain in sight for today, so I was very hopeful that I'd see something resembling steps appearing in the front of my house. No such luck. Shortly after arriving and pounding around out there, he came to tell me that it was still too wet out there to do anything. Crap! He also said that he's so backed up on other jobs he has due to the weather, that he's going to have the other two guys that were there the other day come next week to finish the job. This is fine with me. I don't care who finishes it as long as I don't have to live with a hole in front of my house for much longer.

Because the weather was so nice out today, I spent most of the day outside working on landscaping issues, namely weeds. My neighbor Keith, who is a Master Gardener, shared some ideas with me. Basically, I wanted him to walk around the house with me and tell me what are weeds and what aren't. He came through and so today I went around with a wheel barrow, hedge trimmers, and some gardening gloves. I chopped down a big ole weed bush structure in front of the house, so that looks better. Then I worked my way around the side to where the screen porch is and began hacking into a similar weed bush. What a pain in the you-know-what! Oh man! I really shouldn't have let that thing go so outrageous. That sucker has roots all over the place, some that I could pull up easily and others that are, I swear, weighed down with anchors. I even tried digging them up which didn't make so much as a dent.

Finally, I got sick of doing that. I actually got light-headed and so gave it up for the day and went in for a rest. I ended up falling asleep on the couch for a couple of hours. Vile weeds! You won that round, but I'll be back... I just hope they don't grow back over night.

No comments: