Friday, January 16, 2009

My Car Hates Cold Weather

"Princess" -- the name of my Honda Accord -- has made it clear that she does not like the cold snap we've been experiencing this week. On Thursday when the cold really hit hard, she decided not to start. She grinded and chugged and then promptly died. That was at 6:45 a.m. as I was getting ready to get up to school for my 8 a.m. class. So then I had to drag poor, sick Ken out of the warm bed so he could run me to school. Yes, Ken's been fighting a bad cold. He rarely gets sick, but he had Army duty last weekend and got a whole bunch of shots (7th round of Anthrax, etc.) and personally I think he's sick because of them all. So after I drug him out of bed, he ran me to campus and the secretary gave me a ride home that afternoon. (Her van had heated seats! I was so spoiled!)

Last night we had to run to Sears to get a new battery for my car. That's not a fun way to spend $100. Thankfully yesterday was also payday. When we got home, Ken installed it. I'm amazed that he knows how to do that sort of thing. He's turning out to be very handy to have around!!! I was worried about the car starting this morning, but the ole girl started up like a champ and we made it to school this morning just fine. I do have to say though that after this terrible week of 7.3 inches of snow on Wednesday and -25 degree weather Thursday and Friday, I have learned my lesson about teaching classes that start at 8:00 a.m. 5 days of the week. Maybe I'll do that in the fall, but certainly not in the spring again!

No comments: