Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday Fun

After a lovely Thanksgiving Day with both families, Ken and I made it up by 6 am to do some Black Friday sale shopping. My mom and niece Nicole picked us up and we went to Younkers, Menards, Wal-Mart, Kohls, Sears, and finally a fabric store. The one with the worst lines was Menards. There was this one entrance to all the check-out lanes and you and to snake your way around the store. At various points were sales people who then told you to get into one long line or another where you then proceeded to snake your way around more of the store until you got to the checkout lanes at which point you met up with all the other people in all the other lanes that were separated from you at an earlier checkpoint. What seemed to be a system of reassurance that you were making progress was indeed a system of just shuffling people around to different parts of the store. Along the way, many "impulse buys" caught your eye. Proof: My mom ended up with two fleece balnkets for $1.99 each that someone left behind on a nearby rack. She wasn't planning on buying them, but the waiting in line convinced her she needed them.

Ken and I like to use this shopping day to stock up on new bedding for the year. Last year we got the most amazing flannel sheets for our bed for about $20 at Younkers. I love them! But to buy flannel sheets -- or sheets of any size for that matter -- for a King size bed at other times during the year is a bit pricey. Today, we made out with one new set of flannels ($24.99), one set of cotten sheets ($14), and a new down comforter ($20) for the bed. I think we're set for the year. I also picked up a new lovely light blue quilt plus shams for the guest bedroom for about $35.

Other purchases included gift items for Ken that he picked out throughout the day and some new items for me as well. No surprises here. Ken's already in "deployment planning mode" so we're trying to think of things he'll want to take to Iraq with him next year. He wants a digital camera of his own plus a small MP3 player for music (not an expensive one as one never knows what will get lost while over there). There were several good camera deals but we got to the stores too late to get them. I'm sure they'll be more sales later so I'll get him one soon.

Tonight, we're driving to Cedar Rapids, which is only 40 minutes away (people in Iowa speak about distance in terms of time, not mileage!), so that we can visit with my friend Lynsey who is in town with her husband and son for Thanksgiving with his family. They live in Wisconsin. Lynsey is my friend from my first year at UNI (1996) -- she lived across the hall from me in the dorms!

Well, I better get moving so we can get on the road! I have some wedding flower pictures to post sometime.

No comments: