Monday, September 29, 2008

Quick Update

This is a quick post as things are incredibly busy around here. Not only have I been grading non-stop for the past 2 weeks, but there is no end in sight. I have had 50 UNI papers sitting in the back of my car since last Thursday's class waiting to be graded and will receive 60 more papers from my Hawkeye kids on Monday. I've been grading as fast as I can (with some much-needed break in there of course), but I have this conference in Illinois that I've been trying to get ready for at the same time not to mention other regular course preps to attend to.

Though we spent Saturday morning working from home, we did manage to sneak away for a little bit in the afternoon. We headed downtown Waterloo for the 90th anniversary celebration of the John Deere Waterloo Operations. Planning this had been part of my job when working there, so I had to see what it all ended up being. We also had some free "Deere Bucks" from Ken's work, so we went down there for a free lunch and to see the tractors. We only stayed for an hour though as we had to get home and get ready for a wedding in West Liberty, IA (down south toward Iowa City). Ken was part of a military sword line for the bridal party. It was interesting though we had to drive 2 hours down and back and spent too much time away from home and work. Pictures to come in a future post!

Sunday found us at Sister Melissa's for a small birthday celebration for Mom. We enjoyed beautiful weather and grilled out on the patio. Afterwards, some of the gang (Ken, Josh, Jeff, and Dan) tossed the ole football around. Overall, a lovely afternoon. Then it was home again to more grading and getting ready for the week.

That said, I have 5 more Hawkeye papers to grade for Wednesday and then it's time to get started on the 50 UNI papers. Ugh. I may have to haul some of those to Illinois with me for the weekend, which does not thrill me. I need to give them back next week as I'll collect another whole set of papers from them then. This whole 6-class, 3-prep thing is wearing me down. I will have 6 classes next semester at Hawkeye, but there should only be 2 preps and I'll have already taught them this semester, so less busy work then. Sigh. I am looking forward to seeing friends in Illinois this weekend though!!!

No comments: