Thursday, February 16, 2012

Midterm thoughts

I just reread my last blog post. Guess who's disappeared from class? Yup. She Devil has been absent for a couple of weeks now. Big surprise? Not really. But why did she have to make life so miserable while she was here? Sheesh. Cut me some slack people.

In fact, most of my classes have dropped in number of students. The 8-week Writing I classes are the worst. I have approximately 8-10 showing up on a good day. Of course, tomorrow is Friday, so that means I'll probably have 3-5 in each class. It's really quite depressing. I was pretty down last weekend after I only had 5 show up in my 1:00 class. What a bummer way to go into the weekend.

My latest favorite though have been the students who have been absent for about 3+ weeks who are just now emailing me telling me they want to get back "on track" and complete their missing coursework so they can pass the class. Um, yeah, right. Did they miss that part of the syllabus that said, "NO LATE WORK"? Or did I neglect to make that clear on Day 1? Oh, right. They didn't show up until Day 2 or 3 so that policy doesn't count for them because they weren't there to hear it. And really now, you've been gone 3 weeks, which is the equivalent of 6 weeks in a regular semester, you've completed no work to date, but you want me to give you all the work you've missed. How about I also stay late every night to reteach everything I went through each of those 2-hour class sessions when you weren't there?

I also have a new one this semester: students who don't want to come to class, but who consistently turn in their work to me via email. Did I miss something that said our class was a correspondence or online class? Hmm... how dumb of me not to realize that. Yeah, I hope you enjoy not having your assignments graded because there is no way I can even prove the work is yours! See you (or not) next semester.

How many weeks until Finals...?

No comments: