Monday, August 3, 2009

August Cometh

August. These days my time is spent trying to stay as busy as possible so the days do not feel as loney as they really are now that Ken's officially gone and in country. It also helps me to not think about what's happening over there. My recent projects have been taking on more roles in the Family Readiness Group (FRG) for the Ken's unit. This is essentially a group run by family members to help support those family and friends of soldiers left behing during a deployment. I started off as the newsletter person and the website person. Now I'm helping with more leadership duties and have taken on the role of Phone Tree coordinator which means making calls and keeping track of any problems that arise from calls made. It's proven to be much more time consuming than I expected and I find myself working on it about 3 hours a day. I don't know what I'm going to do once school starts. I will certainly not have as much time to devote to it then.

I can't write much else right now as I'm pooped from helping my buddy Lynn with some more flood cleanup at her house. We've really dug into her garage and today, our second day, found us making a dump run and cleaning out storage totes so that she can start organizing things into clean containers. It's really a rewarding project and we can see dramatic changes each time we work.

Tomorrow, I'm headed to my office to work on fall syllabi and to continue preparing my office for my new officemate. So much to do and so little time left to do it! In a couple of weeks, it's back to work and back to students. When August cometh, summer endeth.

No comments: