Monday, July 30, 2007

Welcome Home


Hello Everyone. This is the blog I've created to share the life of Ken and Marcy - the now cohabitating couple. I hope I am better at posting to this than I can be writing and responding on other blogs. But I thought this might be a fun way of sharing our lives here with friends and family far away. The picture to the left is of our new place. Our apt. is the one on the first floor.

Today's big news! My first day at home after the big move. After a hectic weekend of moving -- with a great big thanks to friend Keely, and family Lisa, Matt, and Brother Tom, and of course Suzie & Rachel for their box-moving prowess within the apartment and numerous other friends who gathered and provided scores of empty boxes -- we have moved everything into the apt. The tough part is putting it all away. I've learned that Ken and I have very different philosophies when it comes to putting things away after a move. I like to open a box, put things away, and get rid of box. Ken likes to move boxes around, strategically locating them around the apartment. I have put away almost all of my boxes with the exception of a few boxes of books, boxes of pictures to be hung on the walls or placed elsewhere later, and the box or two that I know must be missing because I can't find my alarm clock or the coasters for the living room.

Other big news. Today was cable and internet installation day! Since moving out on my own, I have not had cable. For 4 years, I've been happy, even proud at times, to have been able to survive without it. For Internet, I used DSL, which suited my needs just fine. Now, however, there is no DSL where we live, so our only other option was to go with the cable modem. Fine, a little more expensive, but doable. The problem...now that I have cable, I'm very worried that I'll want to watch it more than write that dissertation or do my editing (both of which, incidentally, I should be working on now).

Anyway, I feel much more at home now with the Internet at my fingers and most of my boxes put away. I'll be housesitting/catsitting in Normal this week, so Ken'll be left alone with his boxes. I've already been told not to expect any grand actions this week in terms of them being put away when I come home. I can live with that. Life is good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new place! And good luck keeping up with the blog (and away from the cable!)

Marcea said...

Thanks for the wishes...I'll need the luck. So far, I've kept cable at bay, but the Internet has me hooked.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marcy, This an old friend from Waterloo, you might remember the way we danced. I was happy to hear from you and also to see you have a blog going. That is very cool and I'll make sure to bookmark it and check back from time to time. Now that you do have cable if you want advice on some good shows to watch you know who to ask :) I've also added your new cell number to my phone. Later Marcea "the most beautiful souned I ever heard..."

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcy! This is the first blog I've EVER posted on! I'm happy that it's yours (and Ken's). I guess I can call myself a blogger now. Congratulations on the new digs, and I hope to visit sometime (to watch cable, of course! I don't have it either...). Post more pictures when you get a chance!

Susan said...

Glad to hear you made it safely. It's good you're being cool about different unpacking philosophies....

Rachild said...

Congrats on the big move! I can't wait to read all the blog updates.

Rach

Unknown said...

Congrats to you and Ken! The new place looks nice. Good to hear that all is going well. Best wishes to you both.